The Schizophrenia Society of Alberta (SSA) is a non-profit organization representing the views of family members and consumers (those diagnosed with the illness) and whose mission is to “alleviate the suffering caused by schizophrenia and other related mental illnesses.”.
SSA goals are to:
- Provide support for people affected by schizophrenia and other related mental illnesses.
- Promote understanding of the illness through increased public awareness and education.
- Advocate for and actively promote the improvement of mental health services.
- Promote research into the causes and treatment of schizophrenia.
- Promote interagency collaboration within Alberta communities to further our objectives.
- Under direction of a Provincial Board of Directors, the goals are achieved through a Provincial Office, five Chapters and a number of informal chapters or information sites throughout Alberta.
The five Chapters (Edmonton, Red Deer, Calgary, Lethbridge & Medicine Hat) provide:
- self help groups for family members and consumers.
- monthly informational general meetings.
- information and literature on schizophrenia and other related mental illnesses.
- personal support and advocacy for consumers and their families.
- awareness events to focus attention on the illness.
- Public education through the community-based partnership programs.
The SSA is a community voice working collaboratively with Government, Government Funded Organizations and Non-Government Organizations to ensure that accessible and appropriate services are available for those diagnosed with Schizophrenia and other related mental illnesses.
The SSA is part of a network of other provincial organizations that work in a collaborative manner with the Schizophrenia Society of Canada.